Will I gain weight if I drink coconut water?


I like drinking coconut water, but I’m afraid of gaining weight. Do I have to exercise or limit my calorie intake to avoid that? (Ha, 29, HCMC)

Water accounts for 95% of the nutrients in coconut water. The remaining 5% consists of sugar and other micronutrients, including potassium, iron, calcium and phosphorus.

Coconut water helps improve the immune system and the digestive system, prevent the risk of nephrolith, and balance blood pressure.

The water in one young coconut provides around 70 calories. That means consuming two coconuts a day will give you 140 calories, around the calories in half a bowl of rice. To burn this amount of calories, you must walk for 45 minutes or cycle for 20 minutes.

Hence, frequently drinking coconut water without exercising or limiting calorie intake may result in weight gain, indigestion or a feeling of discomfort.

You need to consume less fruit or drinks that contain sugar as well.

Drinking an excessive amount of coconut water may increase the blood potassium level, which leads to kidney and heart problems.

It is advised by most doctors to consume water from one coconut every two days only.

Dr. Nguyen Thi Lam

Former deputy director of the National Institute of Nutrition

Orther post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Post comment

Share on Facbook
Share on Twitter
Share on LinkedIn